January 12, 1917
Columbia Chamber of Commerce wrote Major General Leonard Wood, recommending sites for an Army cantonment near Columbia, South Carolina.
January 15, 1917
Major C. E. Kilbourne came to Columbia on his inspection tour of recommended sites. He made a favorable report.
Columbia Chamber of Commerce appointed the Cantonment Committee and named Edwin Wales Robertson the chairman of the committee.
January 22, 1917
The Cantonment Committee secured the options to purchase 705 acres for an Army cantonment.
February 14, 1917
Edwin Robertson presented Columbia’s case to the staff of the Department of the East at Governor’s Island, New York City.
March 14, 1917
Columbians raised $50,000 to buy and donate 1,200 acres of land for an Army cantonment in Columbia, South Carolina.
April 6, 1917
U.S. declared war on Germany.
April 9, 1917
General W. W. Moore, Adjutant General of the Army, visited and inspected the proposed Columbia site near Dent’s Pond.
April 28, 1917
Options for 1,000 additional acres secured.
May 15, 1917
Colonel W. B. Ladue, Major A. C. Dalton, and Captain J. C. H. Lee of General Wood’s staff met with Edwin Robertson and thoroughly inspected proposed camp sites in Columbia. In particular, they inspected soil analysis, lay of the land, available water supply, and accessibility.
May 19, 1917
Columbia was designated as a site for one of the new divisional Army training camps.
May 22, 1917
Options for 344 additional acres secured; Mr. P. H. Norcross of the firm of Solomon & Norcross inspected the proposed camp site for the availability and purity of the water supply and for the sewage waste disposal facilities. Mr. Richard Schermerhorn, landscape architect, evaluated the site for the feasibility of placing various military units on the available property.
June 2, 1917
The War Department granted final approval for the location of an Army training center in Columbia, South Carolina.
June 5, 1917
The draft for WWI began.
June 7, 1917
Options for 25 additional acres secured; General Leonard Wood visited Columbia to inspect the cantonment site and the railroad lines to the site. Wood commented that the camp would need to ready for occupancy by August 15 for troop arrival on September 1.
June 8, 1917
The Columbia Chamber of Commerce honored Edwin Robertson with a silver urn for his efforts to secure a cantonment in Columbia.
June 11, 1917
The War Department awarded the contract for the construction of the Columbia cantonment to the Hardaway Construction company of Columbus, Georgia.
June 16, 1917
Mr. C. H. Whitaker of the Hardaway Contracting Company arrived at Columbia and assumed the duties of Assistant Superintendent.
June 17, 1917
William Couper, Constructing Quartermaster, arrived.
June 19, 1917
Couper acquired 260 condemned National Guard tents to house African American construction workers at the cantonment.
June 21, 1917
With the draining of Gill Creek swamp, construction of Camp Jackson began.
June 22, 1917
The first Soldiers arrived at Camp Jackson. One hundred ten men from Company E, 1st Regiment, South Carolina Infantry, with Captain Walker in command, arrived to serve as camp guard.
June 23, 1917
Construction of a railroad trestle into Camp Jackson was completed. The bridge was erected in fifteen days.
June 25, 1917
Construction of buildings started.
July 18, 1917
The War Department issued General Order Number 95, re-designating the cantonment as Camp Jackson in honor of President Andrew Jackson, a South Carolina native.
July 19, 1917
The Cantonment Realty Company was chartered with Edwin Robertson as the president, The company had $200,000 as capital stock.
July 20, 1917
Columbia gifted 1,192 acres to the United States under the condition that the land be used for a military cantonment. The first sewer line was laid at Camp Jackson.
August 25, 1917
Brigadier General Charles H. Barth, commander of the 81st Division, arrived. Barth was Camp Jackson’s first commander. The 81st Division was the first operational unit on the installation. While at Camp Jackson, the 81st Division fashioned hand-made patches showing a wildcat (because their unit area was near Wildcat Creek on the installation) and attached them to their uniforms. General Pershing liked the idea and ordered all Army units to adopt shoulder sleeve insignia.
August 28, 1917
10,585 workers were on site to construct Camp Jackson. This was the largest number of men on the job on any one day.
September 5, 1917
First drafted Soldiers arrived.
October 3, 1917
First African American draftees arrived at Camp Jackson.
October 3, 1917 – April 5, 1918
The 1st Provisional Infantry Regiment (later the 371st Infantry Regiment, 93rd Division) trained at Camp Jackson. CPL Freddie Stowers, a member of this unit, is the only African American Medal of Honor recipient from World War I.
October 15, 1917 – May 18, 1918
MG Charles J. Bailey of the 81st Division commanded Camp Jackson.
November 1, 1917
The post flagpole was erected in front of the commander’s headquarters. The flagpole was 153 feet tall.
November 7, 1917
The first base hospital opened. The base hospital consisted of more than 80 buildings covering 12 acres of land at the highest point of the cantonment. The hospital had a capacity of 1,000 patients, a receiving ward, an isolation ward, a psychiatric ward, an operating room, a chapel, and a mortuary.
December 22, 1917
Initial construction of Camp Jackson completed. Hardaway Contracting turned over the entire camp to the Army.
Camp Jackson had a total military strength of 42,498. In six months time 1,519 buildings had been constructed, and a total of $8,897,375 had been spent on constructing the camp, without including the cost of road building, electric, and plumbing subcontractors.
January 7, 1918
The Y.M.C.A. chautauqua tent burned down. The Y.M.C.A. tent, which could seat over 2,000 people, hosted entertainment shows for the Soldiers.
January 25, 1918
Camp Jackson had the largest government-operated laundry facility in the country.
January 30, 1918
Former President William Taft visited Camp Jackson.
February 14, 1918
Post Library and Y.W.C.A. Hostess House opened.
February 22, 1918
Major William H. Supplee reported as Constructing Quartermaster.
February 26, 1918
Harry F. Hann was awarded the contract to build twelve additional hospital buildings and twenty warehouses.
April 13, 1918
The first baby born in an Army cantonment, Caroline Jackson, is birthed at the maternity ward at Camp Jackson.
May 7, 1918
The Christian Science camp welfare building was completed.
May 10, 1918
A train fell off of the railroad trestle at Camp Jackson, killing nine Soldiers.
May 11, 1918
Camp Jackson designated as the Army Field Artillery Replacement Depot.
May 18, 1918
The 81st Division left Camp Jackson.
May 23, 1918
A field artillery brigade firing center was authorized at Camp Jackson.
June 2, 1918
Red Cross Convalescent House completed.
July 18, 1918
An aviation field, later recognized as Emerson Field, was built at Camp Jackson to train aero units.
August 10, 1918
Land clearing for North Camp Jackson commenced.
September 20, 1918
Spanish Influenza claimed its first death at Camp Jackson. By the time the plague ran its course, more than 5,000 people had been treated and 300 had died from the disease at Camp Jackson.
October 26, 1918
Construction workers from Puerto Rico arrived at Camp Jackson.
November 5, 1918: Jewish Welfare Building completed.
November 11, 1918
War ended. All construction at Camp Jackson called to a halt.
December 3, 1918
Camp Jackson was designated as a demobilization center.
31st Division deactivated at Camp Jackson.
The 5th Division moved from Camp Gordon in Atlanta to Camp Jackson.
July 27, 1921
The War Department ordered Camp Jackson to close in General Orders #33.
October 4, 1921
The 5th Infantry Division was deactivated.
April 25, 1922
Per War Department General Order #33, Camp Jackson was abandoned as a regular Army installation
Camp Jackson was controlled by the state of South Carolina as an encampment area for National Guard troops.
After Germany invades Poland in Sept 1939, Camp Jackson was re-activated. The 6th Division of the Regular Army ordered to duty.
Corps Area Engineer started construction on the first buildings of a revamped hospital facility at Camp Jackson.
6th Division left for maneuvers and reassigned to Minnesota.
July 1, 1940
The 8th “Pathfinder” Division was reactivated at Camp Jackson. The mission of the division was to train enlistees and selectees to be skilled soldiers to serve as replacements in a combat unit.
July 9, 1940
General C. Marshall, Chief of Staff, wrote Senator James F. Byrnes of South Carolina that Camp Jackson had been designated the home station of the 8th Division, Regular Army, and the Camp was placed on permanent basis.
Summer – Fall 1940
Camp Jackson expanded to approximately 53,000 acres. The original Columbia Cantonment Commission lands were re-donated to the War Department for the cost of improvements made by the American Legion, Boy Scouts, Girl Scouts, YMCA, YWCA, National Youth Administration and other agencies.
August 15, 1940
Camp Jackson reverted to Federal control and General Order #7 changed the status of Camp Jackson. The order read:
Announcing a permanent military post at Camp Jackson. The reservation, known as Camp Jackson, will hereafter be known as Fort Jackson, with post office address Fort Jackson, SC. Signed/George C. Marshall, Chief of Staff, By Order of the Secretary of War.
Fort Jackson became the site for one of the largest construction projects ever undertaken in the Southeast. Between July 1940 and July 1941, over $18,000,000 of construction added more than:
- 3,000 buildings;
- 6,000 winterized tents;
- 100 miles of hard-surfaced roads and streets;
- A Post Headquarters building;
- A hospital one mile in length with 2,200 beds;
- A communications complex with a 700-phone switchboard that concentrated all telephone, telegraph, radio and message centers together;
- A theater and recreation buildings;
- 17 chapels;
- A 6,000,000 gallon-a-day water plant;
- A 187-acre lake;
- A post laundry capable of doing the washing of 30,000 soldiers weekly;
- A cold storage plant for the perishable food of 42,000+ soldiers stationed here by that time;
- The trespass rights on 265,000 acres of land for military training purposes
- A new target range, which would provide more than 1,100 targets for the firing of all known modern weapons; and
- 400 homes for non-commissioned officers.
This construction project employed 7,000-8,000 civilians. These workers erected tent frames at the rate of one every 90 minutes. By the end of construction, Fort Jackson was the sixth largest Army Post in the United States and South Carolina’s third largest city, surpassed in population only by Charleston and Columbia.
Nine Army divisions trained here during WWII: the 4th, 6th, 26th, 30th, 77th, 87th, 100th, and 106th divisions
January 6, 1941
An Induction Station capable of handling 200 men per day opened. Pending satisfactory completion of the induction process, including passing the physical examination, soldiers were sent to the Fort Bragg Reception Center, and then they returned within a few days for permanent assignment to a unit on this Post.
Women worked at Fort Jackson as clerks and stenographers for the first time. Shortly afterward more were hired as switch board operators on a 30-day trial period.
March 31, 1941
President Franklin D. Roosevelt, Commander-in-Chief of the nation’s Armed Forces, en route to Washington from Florida, inspected the troops at Fort Jackson. The primary purpose of the inspection, closed to the public, was to give the President a first-hand picture of the Fort.
South Carolina growers were faced with a surplus of asparagus, so this vegetable was placed on the menu at Fort Jackson and, after a few meals, the surplus was removed and the market was back to normal. Next, a bumper peach crop threatened bankruptcy for the growers of South Carolina so Fort Jackson added peaches to the soldiers’ menu, and the surplus was soon removed.
Of significance at this time was the important position Fort Jackson had in the business life of Columbia and South Carolina. Besides the $22,000,000 construction bill, most of which was spent in Columbia and South Carolina, the average monthly payroll at Fort Jackson was in excess of $1,850,000. A staggering total of $540,000 was spent monthly on food alone, with South Carolina fruits and vegetables being purchased in vast amounts to feed the hungry soldiers of the Post.
September 13, 1941
A Reception Center opened at Fort Jackson. At the Reception Center within two days, men completed records; received their Army General Classification Tests which established their military intelligence trend and job classification; signed up for insurance; established allowances for dependents; drew bedding and learned to make up beds; received their issue of clothing and personal equipment; and were assigned to a shipping company. During the next two years the Reception Center filled several Divisions, among them the 6th, 8th, 30th, 77th, 4th, 87th, and 100th.
Carolina Maneuvers: An area of around 10,000 square miles between Fort Jackson and Fort Bragg in North Carolina was used by approximately 350,000 troops of the First Army, two armored divisions, and tank and aviation units in the most comprehensive maneuvering exercises in the nation’s history from November 3-30.
June 8, 1942
Army Chief of Staff General George C. Marshall visited Fort Jackson.
Prime Minister Winston Churchill witnessed a review at Fort Jackson. During his stay at Fort Jackson Mr. Churchill, cigar in mouth, trooped all over Fort Jackson to inspect every phase of training.
October 6, 1942
The 302nd Engineers demolished a large, condemned, steel bridge over the Wateree River near Camden, South Carolina. Nearly 2,000 troops witnessed the destructive force of 2,500 pounds of explosives.
The Army established a 7,000-volume library on the Post.
Fort Jackson’s first women soldiers of the Women’s Army Auxiliary Corps (WAAC), 131 strong, arrived to relieve more male soldiers for combat duty. The WAAC’s were assigned to the Station Complement and performed clerical, motor transport, service club, cleaning, library, and other miscellaneous duties around the Post.
August 20, 1943
Seven WAAC officers arrived at Fort Jackson for assignment to temporary duty in operational jobs in the Station Complement. These WAAC Second Lieutenants were among the first group of women officers to be sent into the field to understudy men officers in operational jobs.
The Women’s Army Auxiliary Corps (WAAC) converted to the Women’s Army Corps (WAC)
January 10, 1944
The Reception Center closed. Between its activation in 1941 and its closing more than 80,000 men were processed and sent to appropriate basic training camps.
The Army Service Forces Personnel Replacement Depot opened here.
Fort Jackson became a Replacement Training Center
The 5th Infantry Division was reactivated here as a training division.
April 25, 1950
Fort Jackson was named as one of the installations to be closed in an effort to cut the defense budget
June 25, 1950
The Korean War began, and Ft Jackson was taken off of stand-by status
August 17, 1950
The 8th Infantry Division was reactivated here as a training division.
The 31st Infantry Division was ordered to join the 8th Division training here.
Hilton Field was established in honor of Sgt. Richmond H. Hilton, a South Carolina native who was awarded the Medal of Honor for heroism displayed during WWI.
May 15, 1954
The 101st Airborne Division served at Fort Jackson until March 1956
March 16, 1956
Fort Jackson officially became the U.S. Army Training Center, Infantry, and the fort was restored to permanent status
TRAINFIRE was developed and tested at Fort Jackson and then adopted on an Army-wide basis. Cost of construction was $549,800.
TRAINFIRE introduced realism into the training situation. In TRAINFIRE I the basic trainee learned first to sight enemy riflemen who were partially hidden and to estimate the distance to this enemy. He learned to direct his fire not at a stationary bull’s eye but at pop-up targets located at various distances in wooded areas.
October 27, 1958
The Army Trainer Academy opened. The Army Trainer Academy was redesignated the Fort Jackson Noncommissioned Officer Academy on March 3, 1959, and on August 7, 1959 it was made the Third United States Army Noncommissioned Officer Academy. Its mission was to raise the standard and quality of performance of Noncommissioned Officers, without regard to Military Occupational Specialty or duty assignment, with emphasis on the fundamental role — leader/instructor/supervisor.
January 2, 1963
One of the major projects undertaken by Fort Jackson during 1963 was the Cuban Volunteer Training Program. By early April, 14 companies, totaling more than 2,700 Cubans, were in training at Fort Jackson.
September 3, 1963
Fort Jackson Elementary School, later named the Hood Street Elementary School, opens its doors as the first desegregated elementary school in South Carolina.
December 27, 1963
Fort Jackson’s five training regiments were reorganized and re-designated the 1st, 2nd, 3rd, and 4th Training Brigades by Headquarters, Fort Jackson, General Order #84.
Construction began on permanent brick/ concrete/ steel buildings to replace the temporary wooden barracks of WWII.
The Training Aids Center at Fort Jackson developed the prototype of a new hand-to-hand combat dummy. The cover of the dummy was vinyl plastisol, while the filling was urethane foam (foam rubber). This new training device replaced straw dummies throughout the Continental United States Supply System in 1965.
Increased input to Fort Jackson began in late August, and by November the average training load was 20,711 compared with a previous capacity of approximately 15,000.
October 4, 1965
Training under the Committee Group and Drill Sergeant Concept began. Prior to organization of the Committee Group, the Drill Sergeant taught all subjects to the trainees. The Committee Group assumed responsibility of teaching Grenades, the Infiltration Course, Basic Rifle Marksmanship, Night Firing, Close Combat, and Individual Tactics, and drill sergeants acted as assistant instructors to the Committee Group instructor. The Committee Group was organized to allow special instructors for each subject area, thereby improving the quality of instruction.
April 25, 1966
The new Rifle Squad Tactical Training Range Complex opened. This complex, known as TRAINFIRE II, was made up of four separate ranges which were constructed for practical work by soldiers employing the M-l4 rifle. The ranges are used for both live and blank firing exercises as part of Rifle Squad Tactical Training for those personnel undergoing Advanced Infantry Training.
The M-16 rifle replaced the M-14 as the primary weapon of the Infantryman, and a new training technique (the Quick Kill Course, utilizing Daisy air rifles, the M-l4 and M-l6 rifles) was employed.
The 3rd Training Brigade became the first unit to occupy new brick permanent buildings on Post. These units consisted of one chapel, one Brigade Headquarters, two Battalion Headquarters, two Consolidated Messes, one gymnasium, eight barracks, two orderly/supply room complexes, one dispensary, one Post Exchange, and a motor pool.
The citizens of Columbia raised $82,500 for the Andrew Jackson statue in front of Gate 1 as a testimonial to Jackson and a tribute to the soldiers who train here. The 12-foot statue was designed by Felix de Weldon, the same artist who designed the Flag Raising at Iwo Jima statue located in Washington, D. C.
January 1, 1967
The Third United States Army Noncommissioned Officer Academy was re-designated the Third United States Army Drill Sergeant School. The mission of the school was to prepare selected enlisted personnel to conduct Basic Training. The six-week Drill Sergeant Course was designed to make each prospective Drill Sergeant an expert in Basic Combat Training.
Construction for Moncrief Hospital began.
Ft Jackson was officially annexed by the City of Columbia
June 15, 1973
General Order #239, dated June 5, 1973, officially redesignated Fort Jackson as U.S. Army Training Center and Fort Jackson, effective June 15, 1973.
June 30, 1973
The 3rd Infantry Training Brigade was deactivated. This ended an era of advanced infantry MOS skill training for enlisted soldiers at Ft Jackson.
May 19, 1976
Soldiers began to wear a new distinctive insignia designed exclusively for Fort Jackson soldiers. The insignia displays a replica of the General Andrew Jackson statue and is inscribed Victory Starts Here. Fort Jackson was the first training installation to get its own insignia.
Victory Tower, a wooden structure located at the intersection of Jackson Boulevard and Dixie Road, opened at Fort Jackson. Tower training for basic combat trainees did not begin until September 1976.
Basic combat training soldiers were introduced to 3 phases of training within an eight-week instruction program.
Ft Jackson sold 290 acres for the construction of I-77.
October 1, 1987
An initial entry training (IET) strategy was implemented. Training focused on hands-on skill development rather than platoon instruction.
August 9, 1990
Fort Jackson became a full-time participant in Operation Desert Storm.
October 14, 1994
Basic combat training units implement full-scale gender integration to the squad level.
August 1, 1995
The United States Army Chaplain Center and School, a complex costing approximately $7.4 million broke ground.
September 30, 1995
The Soldier Support Institute is transferred to Fort Jackson, South Carolina. The transfer began officially in October 1994 and was completed September 30, 1995. The U.S. Army Soldier Support Institute at Fort Jackson is composed of the Adjutant General, Finance, Recruiting and Retention Schools, the NCO Academy, and the Army Element of the School of Music.
The DoD Polygraph Institute moved from Fort McClellan, Alabama to its present location at Fort Jackson, South Carolina.
The wooden Victory Tower, in use since 1976, was replaced with a steel structure.
Training Brigades at Fort Jackson were redesignated as units with richer military heritage. Victory Brigade, formed in 1991, became the 171st Infantry Brigade. The 1st Combat Training Brigade became the 193rd Infantry Brigade, and the 4th Combat Training Brigade became the 165th Infantry Brigade.
February 23, 2007
New shoulder sleeve insignia (SSI) for Fort Jackson was approved by the Department of the Army. The insignia, featuring a torch, crossed rifles, and a Victory V, replaced the blue, yellow, and red TRADOC shoulder sleeve insignia worn by permanent party Soldiers at Fort Jackson.
May 24, 2007
As part of the Residential Communities Initiative, an Army-wide program to privatize family housing, on-post housing at Fort Jackson was privatized. Balfour Beatty Communities was contracted to provide nicer and larger on-post housing options. A groundbreaking ceremony in December 2008 signaled the beginning of the 50-year privatized housing plan.
October 1, 2007
Soldiers entering Basic Combat Training began to receive Combat Lifesaving (CLS) Training and be CLS certified before graduation. With an additional 7.5 hours added to the first aid training program, Soldiers began to learn how to perform advanced first aid and conduct potentially lifesaving procedures such as control bleeding, conduct CPR, and reintroduce fluids into the body.
October 7, 2007
The process of consolidating the three Drill Sergeant Schools from Fort Leonard Wood, Mo., Fort Benning, Ga., and Fort Jackson to a single school at Fort Jackson began. Construction of the new Drill Sergeant School was completed in February 2011.
November 2, 2007
The Army extended its Basic Combat Training to a 10-week program at all of its BCT sites: Fort Jackson, Fort Sill, Okla.; Fort Leonard Wood, Mo.; Fort Knox, Ky.; and Fort Benning, Ga.
November 5, 2007
President George W. Bush visited Fort Jackson where he observed training, attended graduation and spent private time with area Gold Star families.
Construction of the Fort Jackson National cemetery began. Construction is completed by November 2008.
In an effort to improve the living conditions of Soldiers and the Fort Jackson community, Fort Jackson experienced a building boom. The Armed Forces Chaplaincy School was completed in 2010, the Fort Jackson Inn was constructed in Fall 2010, the new consolidated Drill Sergeant School was completed in Feb 2011, and renovations to Hilton Field were completed in April 2013. As part of the Barracks Upgrade Program, barracks at Fort Jackson received a facelift, including renovations in early 2007 on the rolling pin barracks on Magruder Avenue. Between 2007 and 2016, the 6 starship barracks were renovated, and 2 star base barracks were constructed to house basic combat training regiments.
Fort Jackson Theater reopens after a complete 2-year renovation.
Bayonet drills are eliminated from basic combat training. To have combat skills more suited to existing battlefield conditions, Soldiers’ training focused on hand-to-hand combat.
May 6, 2010
The co-located Armed Forces Chaplaincy Center is dedicated after 2 years of construction.
January 27, 2011
First Lady Michelle Obama toured Fort Jackson to learn from Army leaders about how childhood obesity and physical inactivity affects military readiness and what the Army does to combat these effects.
February 23, 2011
U.S. Army Drill Sergeant School opens at Fort Jackson.
June 23, 2011
After almost 14 years here, the 157th Infantry Brigade bade farewell to Fort Jackson. As part of the 1st Army, the 157th is responsible for preparing mobilized National Guard and Reserve Soldiers for deployment.
July 1, 2011
The U.S. Army Basic Combat Training Museum opened at Fort Jackson. Previously, the museum had operated as the Fort Jackson Museum since 1974.
Pvt. Cicely Verstein, the first female enlisted to fill a combat-related role in the Army, began her basic combat training at Fort Jackson. Verstein enlisted to maintain the 91M Bradley Fighting Vehicle System.