Frequently Asked Questions (DHR)


“Frequently Asked Questions”

What does DEERS stand for?

Defense Enrollment and Eligibility Reporting System


What are the operating hours for the ID card Section?

Monday thru Friday: 08:00 – 16:30

Walk-ins:  Monday – Friday 08:00-09:30

Appointments Monday – Friday 09:45-16:30


Does my sponsor have to be with me to get an ID card?

Yes, with the following exceptions:

If the sponsor pre-signs the DD Form 1172-2 (Application for Uniformed Services Identification Card/DEERS Enrollment) at the ID card office, in front of a Verifying Official (VO), the family member may bring the form unaccompanied by the sponsor; or the DD Form 1172-2 may be scanned into the DEERS system from another ID Card Issuing Facility to this facility; or with a valid Power of Attorney (POA), the family member may sign the DD Form 1172-2 (Application for Uniformed Services Identification Card/DEERS Enrollment).


Once the DD Form 1172-2 is signed, how long is it good for?

90 days from the date of issue


What documentations are needed to add, remove or make changes to DEERS?

The sponsor will always need the original or true certified supporting documentation to make any changes, (i.e., Birth, Death, Marriage Certificate, Social Security Cards, Divorce, Adoption, and Custody Decrees)


Can an ID card be issued by mail?

Yes. A person needing an ID card and who is unable to travel (incapacitated) to the nearest ID card facility or a great distance from an ID Card Center may submit a request by mail. The sponsor will provide a notarized 5×7 or 8×10 facial photograph of the card recipient with detailed physical characteristics (height, weight, color of eyes, hair and signature). Expiring ID card should also be returned.

Mailing address for the ID card center:

Directorate of Human Resources

5450 Strom Thurmond Blvd

ATTN:  ID Cards, room 109

Fort Jackson, SC  29207


What is the earliest an ID card can be renewed before expiring?

  • 90 days prior to expiration date for common access card (CAC)
  • 30 days prior to expiration date for Family Members, with the following exceptions:

– Lost or damaged card

– Promotion of sponsor

– Significant change in appearance


If the sponsor is deployed, how can a family member receive an ID card?

The Family Member should bring in the sponsors deployment orders or valid POA and any legal documentation (original or true certified copies) if authorized Family Members needs to be added to sponsor’s record in DEERS.


What is the minimum age a Family Member can receive an ID card?

Age 10, with the following exceptions:

–  Family Member of dual active service members

–  Sponsor is a single parent

–  Family Member is not residing in sponsor’s household


How long may a (Child) Family Member keep an ID card?

Up to age 21 or age 23 if the Family Member is enrolled as a FULL TIME student in an accredited institution of higher learning, with courses of study leading to an associate or higher degree, that Family Member may have an ID card until the date of graduation or their 23rd birthday, whichever occurs first.  Additionally, TRICARE for Young Adults (age 23-26).   EXCEPTION: If the Family Member is incapacitated, a child dependency packet needs to be completed prior to the child’s 21st birthday. This packet can be obtained from our office and then forwarded to DFAS.

What is needed to establish a Family Member as a full-time student in DEERS?

The original letter from the school’s registrar’s office certifying that the Family Member is a full-time student with courses of study leading to an associate or higher degree and anticipated graduation date. The begin date of eligibility is the date the child enrolled in college.


Can a retiring sponsor on terminal leave be issued a retirement ID card before the retirement date?

No, although the system allows for this, it is not recommended due to the fact that the Active Duty record will no longer be visible in DEERS and the retirement record will not be effective until the date of retirement which can result in a gap in TRICARE coverage. Retirement ID cards should be issued on the date of retirement or afterward.


Can step-children be added to DEERS?

Yes, as long as they reside with that sponsor and are not already the Family Members of another service member (unless the sponsor’s spouse has physical custody), in which case such document must also be presented.

How are children added to DEERS?

It is Family Member on the following:

– An unmarried female sponsor will present the child’s birth certificate (original or true certified copy) and social security card.

– An unmarried male sponsor must present the child’s birth certificate (original or true certified copy), social security card, and judicial determination (i.e., court-ordered paternity test or notarized acknowledgement of paternity).

– Married sponsors whose spouse is already on DEERS, the sponsor must present the child’s birth certificate (original or true certified copy) and social security card. Marriage certificate is required for step children.


How is a spouse added to DEERS?

The sponsor will bring in the original marriage certificate, birth certificate (original or true certified copy), social security card (with the married name) and valid picture ID (i.e., Driver License, State ID, and Passport).


Can a ward of a service member be added to DEERS?

Yes. The service member must bring the court document(s), the birth certificate(s) of the Family Member(s), (original or true certified copy) the social security card(s), and picture ID(s), if applicable. The ward(s) must reside with the Sponsor and be Family Member on the Sponsor for over half of their support for at least 12 consecutive months.


Can an un-remarried former spouse (URFS) / Department of Defense beneficiary (DB) of a sponsor keep their ID card and benefits?

Yes, when the following conditions are met:

– The Sponsor performed at least 20 years of service

– The spouse was married to the sponsor for 20 years and

– The 20 years of marriage were during the 20 years of the sponsor’s service. All the above being met, the URFS/DB is entitled to full benefits so long as they do not remarry or do not have their own employer sponsored health plan.

                                    —- OR ––

–  The sponsor performed at least 20 years of service and

–  The spouse was married to the sponsor for 20 years

–  The 20 years of marriage were during at least 15 years of the sponsor’s service. All the above being met, the URFS/DB is only entitled to medical coverage for 1 year from date of divorce.


What is required for a disabled American veteran (DAV) to receive an ID card?

To receive a DAV ID card, the person must bring:

–  The letter from the Office of Veteran Affairs (VA) stating that they are 100 percent disabled and has entitlements to the Commissary and Post Exchange.

– The service member’s DD Form 214 (Honorable Discharge from Active Duty)

–  A valid picture ID, social security card, and supporting documentation (i.e., original or true certified copies of marriage/birth certificate) for all family members to be added.

* NOTE: A DAV ID card entitles them to Commissary and Post Exchange privileges only, medical is handled by VA.


What cannot be cross serviced by this ID card center?

  • Initial verification for un-remarried or unmarried former spouses.
  • Incapacitated children.
  • Other individuals who require a dependency determination (over 50 percent support) (i.e. wards, parents, parents-in-law.)
  • Retirees from other services and former members not currently enrolled in DEERS.
  • Illegitimate child of a male sponsor, when paternity has not been judicially determined.
  • Illegitimate child of sponsor’s spouse, when the sponsor is a member of another Service.
  • Navy and Marine Corps Family Members residing in the Philippines.
  • Abused Family Members

5450 Strom Thurmond Blvd, Room 216, Fort Jackson, SC 29207

Hours of operation: Monday – Friday Hours: 7:30 am – 5:00 pm