Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)



Most Asked “FAQS”

For those questions not covered – follow this link: More Information Found Here

Q. Thinking about attending your Soldier’s Family Day and or Graduation?

A. The professionals at Victory Travel, Fort Jackson’s very own Travel Office, are ready to help you plan your visit and answer your questions.  They can book your travel and accommodations (both on and off post), click HERE.

Q. What airport is near Fort Jackson?

A. Fort Jackson is located in Columbia, South Carolina and the airport is the Columbia Metropolitan Airport. From the airport turn left onto Airport Blvd. (Hwy 302) and after a mile look for the intersection of I-26. Take I-26 south toward Charleston. From I-26 you will take I-77 North toward Charlotte. Fort Jackson is Exit #15 off of I-77.

Q. Where is Fort Jackson?

A. Fort Jackson is located in Columbia, South Carolina and can be accessed by way of I-26, I-20, or I-77. Fort Jackson is Exit #15 off of I-77.

Q. Where should I stay when I come to Fort Jackson?

A. Call our Victory Travel Office for assistance with reservations at 1-800-221-3503. For on-post lodging, call 1-800-276-6984.

Q. Can I make arrangements to stay in a cabin on post at Weston Lake instead of a traditional hotel reservation off post?

A. Yes, you can make cabin reservations by calling Weston Lake at (803) 751-5253.

Locating Active & Retired Personnel

Q. How do I find out where a soldier is assigned at Fort Jackson?

A. Call the Post Locator at (803) 751-7611.

Q. How do I find a soldier who has left Fort Jackson but is still in the Army somewhere?

A. Contact the Worldwide Locator at (703) 325-3732.

Q. How can I find a soldier or drill sergeant I knew at Fort Jackson years ago?

A. We do not keep records of soldiers who were once stationed here in the past. Your best bet is to try one of the internet military search sites or find a copy of the booklet “How to Locate Anyone Who Is or Has Been in the Military by LTC Richard S. Johnson.

Military Records, Documents and Photographs

Q. I have a family member that was stationed at Fort Jackson several years ago? How can I get service records or photographs?

A. Military records and photographs are not stored at Fort Jackson. Military records are kept at the National Personnel Records Center. The address is 9700 Page Avenue, St. Louis, Missouri 63132-5100. The web address is:  National Personnel Records Center | Veterans Service Records

Q. I was born at Fort Jackson. How do I get a birth certificate?

A. To obtain a birth certificate write Office of Vital Statistics, 2600 Bull Street, Columbia, South Carolina 29201. At the present time the fee is $12.00 and takes about 3-4 weeks. That can be expedited by including an extra $5.00 and receive it within 3 working days.

Q. I lost my basic training cycle book. How can I get a replacement?

A. Replacement cycle books are not available. In fact, the books can only be ordered during the 9-week basic training cycle. There are no copies kept at Fort Jackson and the companies that publish them do not keep extra copies.

Retirement Services

Q. How can I find out more about my retirement benefits?

A. Call the Retirement Services Office at (803) 751-6715.

Q. How do I find out more about funeral support?

A. Call the Casualty and Mortuary Office at (803) 751-4519.

Veterans Services

Q. What local authorized benefits are available for Veterans (not Retired) on Fort Jackson?

A. FMWR Fort Jackson has DA exception to policy that allows honorable discharged Veterans to join our Golf Club, Officer’s Club and use the NCO Club.


Q. If I drop by the company, can I see my soldier?

A. NO. The Soldiers are not authorized visitors prior to Family Day and Graduation per Army regulation. Any family members that come by the unit area will be turned away without seeing their Soldier.


Q. Will my soldier be graduating on time?

A. During any given cycle, Foxtrot Company trains upwards of 200 Soldiers. Due to our training schedule and the movement of personnel, there is no guarantee that the person answering the phone is going to be able to provide you with any specific information about your Soldier. We will do the best we can, but specific information regarding your Soldier is best to get directly from them by letter or phone.

Q. Where can I get more information about graduation?

A. To provide families more information, units will mail letters and you can also check the “About” section of the menu and select “Graduation Information.”

Phone Calls

Q. When will I receive a phone call from my soldier?

A. Telephone use is a privilege. In Basic Combat Training (BCT), Soldiers are not allowed to use their cell phones and must use the pay phones in the Company area, either collect or with a calling card. Upon transfer to our Company, all Soldiers are provided the opportunity to make a phone call within the first 48 hours and again every weekend we are not conducting training, provided they are not on restriction. usually calls are made on Sundays. We cannot tell our Soldiers who they will or will not call. Your Soldier is allowed to call anyone they choose for a limited amount of time. After their time is up, they will not get another opportunity until the next week. Exceptions are made in the best interest of our Soldiers – family emergencies, financial issues, or other issues deemed necessary by the unit.


Q. When will I get a letter from my soldier?

A. If we are not conducting field training excersises or nighttime training activities, Soldiers are given at least one hour of personal time to write letters, study, or do whatever they’d like within the confines of their living quarters. Soldiers also have down time throughout training where they have the opportunity to write letters if they so choose. It varies on the time for letters to travel through the postal system, but if your Soldier starts writing letters soon after arrival in our unit, you should expect letters to arrive after the first week. We do not make the Soldiers write letters to specific individuals (i.e. mother, father, girlfriend, boyfriend, or siblings).


Q. Why is my soldier not being paid?

A. Pay periods are on the 1st and 15th of each month. If there are no mistakes in the bank routing numbers and the account is active, it usually takes about 30 to 45 days for money to be paid out to new Soldiers. If there is an issue with the bank routing number or the account is inactive the funds will not be deposited and the Soldier will not get paid. The unit will be notified of any issues with Soldiers not being paid by the finance office and will work diligently to correct the problem.


Q. Can I contact my soldier via email?

A. The Soldiers do not have access to the internet during their stay here, therefore they are unable to send or receive emails.